THE MONASTERY WINE TASTING TOUR
History & Scenery
- Wine tasting in a distinguished wine cellar – Medi Valley;
- Picturesque trip alongside the impressive Rila Mts with lunch;
- Visit of the Great Rila Monastery (UNESCO site), and the masterpieces of medieval Bulgarian architecture (Boboshevo);
Pick up at 9:00h from your hotel, the direction of our wine tour is South-West!
First we pay a visit to Boboshevo village on Struma River, only 75km from Sofia. The architecture and the murals of Virgin Mary church and the St. Dimitar monastery church are among the best preserved art of Bulgarian Medieval Orthodoxy.
Our next destination is Medi Valley Winery in the tiny village Smotschewo, at the southwest foot hills of Rila Mountain, offering a breathtaking view to Kalin peak (2668m). This modern producer is clearly dedicated to excellence in the winemaking. After a major renovation it was recently reopened and welcomes its guests warmly for wine tasting that enliven the senses. Just witness the variety of fermenter sizes! One of the famous Bulgarian winemakers has been engaged in the project since 2010. The terroir here is influenced both by the Struma river valley and the mountain. The outcome – fleshy, full-bodied, harmony wines that are worth a try and will surprise you!
After the wine tasting we travel for lunch to a small Guest house. The afternoon is dedicated to the visit of the most valuable cultural and historical site of Bulgaria – the Rila Monastery (14th century). We step inside the monastery, visit the church and could go for a short nature hike to the Cave of St. John …
We expect to bring you back at hotel by 18:00h.
- Period: Any time of the year, any day of the week
- Route highlights: Sofia – Boboshevo – Rila Monastery – Medi Valley Winery – Sofia
- Transport: transfers by private car
- Minimal number of the guests: No
- Guide: English speaking tour guide and wine expert
- Price: EUR 99,- * (incl. lunch and wine tasting)
More info & booking: http://www.zigzagbg.com/tours/rila-monastery-wine-tasting-tour/
Ask us for a customized trip according to your wishes. We are flexible and would be happy to organise a tailor-made wine trip, just for you!
*Price is per person and is valid for a group of 4 people.